Sunday, September 5, 2010

Week 2: Muddy


Interface, CPU, platter, SSD, HHD, RAM…all these computer terms that are so muddy to me. I am definitely not the most computer savvy person and after watching this week’s lectures, I have realized that this statement still holds true. I often found myself going back and replaying lectures to get the wording correct and make sure I actually understood what I was writing down.

As I went back multiple times, from what I understand the organization of hard drive uses a platter, binary data, tracks and interface. It starts with a metal platter with magnetic material then the hard drive reads magnetic signals they are transmitted to the computer with binary data. The surface of the platter has concentric circles (tracks) of information. Information is written on the top and bottom of the platter and the track is divided into sectors that hold a certain amount of information. A knob goes over the track and the as platter spins with revolutions, data is read off of platter and transferred through the interface to CPU.

I had to first understand this in order to grasp the function of the RAM and motherboard. I read articles found at http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4572119_hard-drive-work.html and http://www.datarecoverynj.com/how.html about how hard drives work. I also watched a video to further grasp the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment