Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week 3 - Clear: Ergonomics



I definitely can appreciate and understand Ergonomics. It is the importance of position and posture of the body while at work. It strives to prevent strain injuries and make people feel more comfortable while using equipment and working on the job. It's goals are health and productivity. I came across a short description of ergonomics that stated some opportunity for ergonomic risks such as: jobs requiring repetitive, forceful use of the hand as well as frequent lifting or pulling of heavy objects. I also found it interesting that vibration and cold conditions can also play a part in ergonomic risk.

I think this is an interesting topic because people often joke about Workers Compensation and getting hurt on the job wishing they could blame it on their company. But it actually isn't a joke. My mom is constantly on the phone everyday and she holds it on the top of her shoulder with her face to the receiver and she has had rotator cuff surgery on her shoulder which has been the most pain she has had to endure aside from child birth.

I find this topic to be particularly interesting because I know if I spend too long in front of the computer my eyes, back and head start to hurt...so clearly I am doing something wrong. And that is the problem according to a web site devoted to this science. I don't have the "training" to particularly notice that my body is strained and I should change my position immediately. Instead I type away and continue to do my work. That is so crazy. After looking over the site, I will work on being more conscious and take care of my body...I only have one after all and I would hate to lose it to technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment