Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 10 - Muddy - Database

I was fairly confused by the topic of Databases this week. The scavenger hunt didn't help me understand the topic as much as I thought I would. I still can't really wrap my head around the concept of database management. I don't understand exactly why and when I will use Microsoft Access and how it relates to Database Management System. I understood the different forms to access each view: Form view, Layout view, and Design view but I had to keep re-watching lectures to fully understand. And I am still lost. The terminology was quite confusing to me. I found an article that cleared up some information for me.

The article relating to Database Management Systems helped to clear up some information. I understand that Microsoft Access can be used to develop software and build applications but I don't see it as being very useful for the average person such as myself. However, it can be useful for sharing, editing and updating work without having to overwrite it, if a network is used to store or house a database. This and other features such as its ability to create tables, forms, reports and manipulate data are all practical uses for the program in the business setting. It is good for linking two sets of data together that may be in different locations.

I was also confused as to what the difference is between Excel and Access. There is a difference in some terminology, for example what is called a row in Excel is called a record in Access. Also Excel is not a database management system but is spreadsheet software. Excel uses worksheets and Access uses tables that use querying to relate sets of data stored in different places together. I found an article relating to the difference between Access and Excel to clear up my confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment