Sunday, October 3, 2010

Week 6 - Clear

Learning about multimedia is a helpful tool in the business world, especially since in global business technology such as teleconferencing, video podcasting, and website creation is becoming increasingly utilized. The lectures on the basic concepts behind images, audio, and video gives me a clearer understanding as to how I can incorporate multimedia into my projects, and allows me to differentiate between the various aspects of each category. For example, I did not know that WAV files were not compressed files, and that it would be most useful to store in that format if I needed the original version for the purpose of editing. I also did not know that there were two different kinds of graphics: raster and vector. I always wondered why some pictures were so blurry when I zoomed in, and some were very clear no matter what size I zoomed into. I thought all images were created with pixels, and that the clearer ones were created with really high tech equipment.

In practical terms, people in several industries such as music, motion picture, or even education, are heavy users of multimedia. It is crucial to understand the logistics behind images, sound, and video to give your audience the best possible experience. For example, if I am designing a movie with particular sound variations that required plenty detail, I probably would not want to use the lossless method if deciding to compress the sound file. Similarly, if I was a professor at a University, I could apply my knowledge of the PNG formatting of pictures to have a transparent background on an image so that it could blend well with my lecture slides. I always listen and download music online, but never understood where they came from, or the copyright principles behind each file. To help me further comprehend what Digital Restriction Management was and the logistics behind the analogue hole and how it is removed, I read this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment