Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week 13 - Clear

I found this week to be particularly interesting because it was about a topic that I have always thought about...security with computers. I always wondered why and how so much information can be protected such as social security numbers and credit card information. When I read the introduction for this week I was so excited that I could relate. A question asked was "Why do people create and attack other computers with viruses?" I have always wondered this...what would possesses someone to sabotage the work of another. I am always so weary of downloading anything and opening email attachments.

I enjoyed learning about the topic of software piracy. Software piracy is the illegal copying of software. If you do not buy a particular software then you are not licensed which means you cannot make copies to sell to others, you can only use the copies for backup purposes. The website http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ offers great tips about how to protect yourself and when exactly to know that you are a victim of software piracy. I think it is so important to look for a Certificate of Authenticity and only accept information from well-known sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment