Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 14 - Clear

I understood the first two lectures that discussed storage because we already touched on storage in the first couple of lessons in the beginning of the semester. It was somewhat of a review to learn about raid storage and it was interesting to learn about the newest form of raid storage Raid 6. I really understood some of the storage problems as well as the benefits and drawbacks of each of the storage options. I truly understood Raid 5 after viewing the diagram. Raid 5 seems to be the perfect option because it is a combination of Raid 1 and Raid 0. Information must be spread across disks with one that can be used as the hot spare for error recovery. This is great because if there is a single drive failure, although the system will slow down somewhat, the information will be replaced by the idle hot spare. I found it interesting to learn about the computation that the parity uses to read a damaged hard drive.

I think knowledge of storage techniques is important because this will help to overcome storage problems and help business executives know what type of storage they need for their computing needs. I would be worried to use a Raid 0 because I would be fearful that all my information would be lost at the failure of one disk. I do realize however that it is extremely fast and can hold large files while things are happening simultaneously, which is helpful.

I found a website that explains all levels of Raid and was very helpful.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

No comments:

Post a Comment